Ticks cause Disease - Fight the Bite!
Fight the Bite Insect Repellent & Sting Relief Products TICKS -
Spray Before You Work or PlayBlacklegged tick (deer tick) life stages next to a metric ruler. The adult ticks (two ticks at the left) are approximately 1/8 of an inch long, while the nymph (third from left) is just under 1/16 of an inch. Blacklegged Ticks (Deer Tick, Bear Tick) The scientific name of the blacklegged tick is Ixodes scapularis. Many people still know the blacklegged tick by another common name, the deer tick. You may also hear it called the bear tick. They are all the same tick. The blacklegged tick is much smaller than the wood (or dog) tick. (Scale of image is centimeters.) In this photo, the tick on the left is an adult female blacklegged tick, which is red and dark brown. To her right is an adult male blacklegged tick, which is smaller and dark in color. A nymph blacklegged tick is the second from the right, and a blacklegged tick larva is to the far right. Adult females and nymphs can transmit infections through their bite. Preventing Tick-Transmitted Disease Information about minimizing your risk of tick-transmitted diseases, protecting your pets, and removing ticks. PROTECT YOURSELF FROM TICK BITES Know when you are in tick habitat; this is when it is most important to take precautions:
- Wooded or brushy areas for the blacklegged tick.
- Grassy or wooded areas for the American dog tick.
- DEET-based repellents (up to 30 percent DEET) can be applied to clothing or skin.
- Pre-treating fabric with permethrin-based repellents can protect against tick bites for at least two weeks without reapplication. This is an excellent option for people who frequently venture into wooded areas.
- WATCH THE VIDEO ABOUT CLOTHING AND GEAR REPELLENT ?
- Keep lawns and trails mowed short.
- Remove leaves and brush.
- Create a landscape barrier of wood chips or rocks between mowed lawns and woods.
- Apply pesticide treatments in the spring or early summer along the edges of wooded yards and trails; follow pesticide label instructions carefully.