H2O2 and your Pet

Pet First Aid is always a topic we like to share information about - while it is often overlooked in favor of fun and cute pet stories, it is very important to any family with a furry friend - and especially at the Holidays.

Today, we'd like to share some information about Hydrogen Peroxide and your Pet. We've shared a bit before about how important this is:

5 Pet First Aid Tricks

Dog Vomit

How to respond if your pet has a medical emergency

Here's some new and helpful information... according to Dr. Sandeman, Home & Garden, Quad-City Times, Hydrogen peroxide is good first aid for pets.

Hydrogen PeroxideWhile our pets can enjoy the holidays as we do, the season does expose them to things that may pose a risk that they wouldn’t see or touch any other time of the year. And no, we aren’t talking about Aunt Cybil’s sauerkraut dip.

Products from batteries to chocolate crinkles can cause some type of harm when eaten by our dogs. Prepared owners will have their veterinarian’s or poison control hotline’s number handy along with a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide.

Many of the foods that can be toxic to our pets — grapes, chocolate, products containing the artificial sweetener xylitol — are best handled by giving your pet hydrogen peroxide within a short time of ingestion to cause them to vomit. Even some chemicals such as mouse or rat poison may be initially treated by forcing the patient to throw up any product remaining in their stomach by giving them hydrogen peroxide orally.

But, not every exposure to a potentially dangerous substance should be addressed with vomit-inducing hydrogen peroxide. In fact, vomiting at the wrong time can lead to further damage.

And as a general rule, anything that can be irritating or corrosive going down is going to be irritating or corrosive coming back up.

Batteries, household cleaners such as toilet bowl cleaners and detergents all fall into this category. Especially dangerous to pets and children are laundry detergent pods that seem like the perfect plaything to the unsuspecting, but can serious harm when swallowed.

Additionally, hydrogen peroxide doesn’t do a good job making cats throw up.

So, before you do anything, call your veterinarian or emergency clinic before administering any treatment to make sure you are using it correctly and for the right dosage.

Learn more »

Pet Safety & Holiday Happiness

Leave a Reply

Sorry, you must be logged in to post a comment.

Back to top