Deck the Halls, Don’t Burn Them

Holiday lights and decorations are cheery, festive, fun (and often competitive) but they are a serious fire and electrocution hazard when not used safely...

Holiday decorations can add to the fun and excitement of the season but they can also increase your risk for a home fire. Follow basic safety guidelines to prevent serious electrical and fire hazards during the festivities. As you deck the halls of your home this season, be fire smart:

  • Keep your tree at least three feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, candles or heat vents;
  • Do not let your tree (artificial or live) block exits;
  • Check light sets for frayed or damaged wiring before using;
  • Always turn off holiday lights before leaving home or going to bed; and
  • Connect no more than three mini light sets for decorating.

If you have a live tree, remember to add water to the tree stand daily. A small fire that spreads to a Christmas tree can grow large very quickly. Watch this video by the National Fire Protection Association demonstrating how fast a dry Christmas tree burns compared to one that is watered regularly.

Don’t let disaster ruin your holiday! Learn the facts about home holiday fires in support of the America’s PrepareAthon! campaign to increase disaster preparedness in your community.

gift-guidance

Leave a Reply

Sorry, you must be logged in to post a comment.

Back to top