Are You Storm Ready?
- 100,000 thunderstorms
- 10,000 severe thunderstorms
- 5,000 floods or flash floods
- 1,000 tornadoes
- 2 landfalling deadly hurricanes
Each year across America there are on average 10,000 thunderstorms, 5,000 floods, 1,000 tornadoes, and 6 named hurricanes. Additionally, about 90 percent of all presidentially declared disasters are weather related, leading to around 500 deaths per year and nearly $14 billion in damage.
The web links provided on this page will help you determine how your own home town can be affected by the ravages of severe weather. The NWS StormReady and TsunamiReady programs can help you be better prepared to save lives during threatening weather through better planning, education, and awareness.
All Weather Hazards Information
- Natural Hazard Weather Fatalities, Injuries and Damages
- Severe Weather Statistics: access National Climatic Data Center Storm Data database and search by state/county, dates, event type including flood/flash flood, hail, hurricanes/tropical storms, tornado, thunderstorm winds, and weather events
- Severe Weather Events Calendar