3 Questions That Can Help Protect Older Adults from Falls
Do You Know What 3 Questions Can Help Protect Older Adults from Falls? One in three older adults falls each year, yet less than half tell their health care provider. A new CDC/Medscape video commentary with CDC’s Dr. Grant Baldwin aims to help start this important conversation. The video, part of CDC’s STEADI initiative, highlights three questions that health care providers can integrate into routine office visits with patients 65 and older:
- Have you fallen in the past year?
- Do you feel unsteady when standing or walking?
- Do you worry about falling?
- Reviewing medications to ensure appropriate geriatric doses and reducing fall risk-increasing drugs.
- Recommending Vitamin D supplements.
- Download STEADI (Stop Elderly Accidents, Death & Injuries) Tool Kit for Health Care Providers
- Learn about other proven interventions, such as community-based programs, recommended through STEADI to prevent falls among older adults
- Check out the STEADI Algorithm for Fall Risk Assessment & Interventions